What is Post Construction Cleaning?
If your facility undergoes a construction or renovation project, or your business moves into newly constructed property, the general contractor may have completed a general cleaning of construction debris, but a thorough and detailed cleaning is not part of their job. Once the contractor and construction trades people have left, post construction cleaning services are required to complete a detailed commercial cleaning and disinfection of the premises from top to bottom—to make your facility shine and provide a safe and healthy indoor environment for occupants and customers.
Dust and dirt are unavoidable in a post construction environment and can be harmful to the health of the building’s occupants. Post construction clean up requires expertise and specialized equipment and cleaning products to effectively remove the airborne dust particles and residue that settles everywhere after building construction or renovation. Professional post construction and post renovation cleaners know how to carefully and effectively remove layers of construction dust and grime from ceilings, light fixtures, walls, furnishings, windows and window coverings, hardware, appliances, office equipment, kitchen and washroom surfaces, carpet, hard surface flooring, and more.
Post construction and renovation cleaning is generally done in two stages. The first step, often referred to as the rough clean up, is the removal of construction debris and other large items. This stage is usually done by the contractor and can include disposing of left over building materials, other large debris and construction trash.
In the second stage, a professional post construction cleaning service company will undertake a thorough sweeping and vacuuming, followed by focused and detailed cleaning of your entire premises. Professional post construction cleaners often begin with the ceilings and light fixtures in each area, then work their way down to the windows, doors, walls, lower surfaces, cabinets, furniture and floors.
Areas that have unique fixtures, such as computer rooms, washrooms and kitchens, and other areas that serve particular purposes, will receive specialized detail cleaning and attention. The removal of manufacturing stickers from new doors and windows, if required, is also included in this phase.
Post construction cleaning checklist
Post construction clean up can include a wide range of specialized cleaning tasks and services, but the following is a general checklist to keep in mind.
- Removal of post construction trash
- Overall sweeping and vacuuming of entire premises
- Manufacturer’s stickers removed from new doors and windows
- Ceilings and light fixtures dusted and cleaned
- Air vents dusted and cleaned
- Entranceways swept, vacuumed and cleaned
- Windows, window sills, and window hardware dusted and cleaned
- Doors, door frames, doorknobs dusted and cleaned
- Walls, light switches and baseboards dusted and cleaned
- Paint spatters on floors and scuff marks on walls removed
- Shelves and counters dusted and cleaned
- Inside cabinets and drawers dusted and cleaned
- Kitchen appliances, sinks, backsplashes and surfaces thoroughly cleaned inside and out
- Washrooms and all sanitary fixtures, mirrors and counters dusted, cleaned and sanitized
- And finally, floors swept, vacuumed and mopped
At ServiceMaster Clean, we know that the construction environment is one of constantly changing timelines and schedules. This is why we use our proprietary scheduling software that allows us to work with other construction trades in order to accommodate critical timelines and unforeseen scheduling changes.
The ServiceMaster Clean post construction “turn-key service” is just that. Once we have completed our services, you just have to turn your key and your premises will be ready for business!